My Leadership Vision 


My study of “Leading in A Changing World” module is accomplished with proper supervision by Dr. Tan. Leadership is a powerful word; it exemplifies the bad or good in a person. Throughout this leadership study, I realized my vision of leadership and manifested what I had right or wrong in my direction. I have learned where to enhance my leadership perspective and skill. This topic is fascinating and helps to endorse our professional career being with decent leadership. 

I inspire to be a transformational leader who brings value to whichever situation and can transform. One of my arouse stories is Reed Hastings, the role model of Netflix "Charisma" who crafts Netflix's success story. Under his transform, today, net worth is $191.56B (Netflix Net Worth 2019). Despite my inspiration on Hastings’s leadership, it could not be the same leadership, and I have to craft to suit the business I work for. Assata Shakur quoted, "Dreams and reality are opposites. Action synthesizes them." This quote has encouraged me to perform regardless of any circumstance I'm in. 

My ten years plus experience in telecom industries had supervision by the different leadership styles of bosses and myself met different behavior/attitudes of clients, colleagues, team members. The accomplishment of this leadership study grasped my leadership style can be related to Situational (Contingency) leadership. This theory does not emphasize the personal qualities or traits of the leader but focuses on the situation in which the leader operates. Due to my work nature, ethical leadership and team spirit are vital to be accomplished the task. I admire my superior concept, which is result based and allows subordinates to have to feel free of their workload and time management.

Nevertheless, to me, who needs to answer my boss, thus cannot let go off the team and need to manage well. Base on the business situation/project deadline, my leading role to the team is pushing as required. However, I am a positive person and prefer an open communication work style. Therefore, my vision and values to my leadership are simply to be “an authentic leader, who can be reliable and responsible for the team." 


Hofstede Cultural Fitness

Singapore is a multinational country, many foreign expatriate employees, and workers who migrate and work in this country. Therefore, a cultural framework is taken more critical roles as all employees able to work harmonize under an umbrella organization. As measured with “Hofstede’s Cultural Framework," the company I work for is an Asian company; thus, the company carries high power distance and very centralized. Information sharing constrained by hierarchy and a wide salary gap between the top and bottom of the organization. One thing a good company policy is hiring, and promotions based on rules and individual outcomes. Hence, able to persuade employee motivation and a prosperous future and can put effort based on what they are aiming at.

Moreover, the power gives to superiors based on control of uncertainties. Lastly, the medium of Masculinity at work, management expects managers need to be competitive, firm, aggressive, and decisive. As per the above findings, the company I work cannot describe as the best culture around. However, among Asia companies, I appreciate my company culture, which is fitted with the situational leadership I have carried. The company has decent leadership management, and all employees been treated equally and modestly. Let us now turn to a consideration of self-reflection in the next section.

Self-Reflection 

As was pointed out in the introduction to this paper, my leadership style clings to situational leadership, and naturally, I have possessed the strength and overwhelmed with some growth needs. One of my advantages is physical and mental durability to resist much hardship and stress in life. I consider myself an optimistic person, minded with a reasonable person. On the other hand, weakness, as I'm zero, tolerate on trustworthiness, straight to the point, and state my stance, flexibility upon request by peers/subordinate, much sympathetic. All these findings commented by some of my bosses, peers, friends, etc. Although I have a weakness, my principal is to treat everyone with respect and try to pull out their best when we work together. The affirmative of my leadership to the team is none related to power; just try to be work done within my capacity and focus on the result for the company good indeed. 

Strategies Improvement 

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself” famously written by Leo Tolstoy (К.В 2017). It is a thought that regardless of having a colossal goal, if I am not prepared to make changes to my lifestyle, habits, and perspective to achieve them, then my dream will simply be myths of grandeur. Findings my weakness is impacting on my leadership indeed. My zero tolerate of trustworthiness is lean to coercive power, which imposes sanctions or punishment to gain compliance. Instead, I should comply with referent power, which is to enhance positive personal traits or integrity. 

Only focus on my weakness is not a comprehensive solution. To go for a battlefield, you cannot be a success with only to have a good leader, but also need to best supporter or team member certainly. If we are given a favorable by management to set up our team, the most I eager to have a "can-do team" who were ready to try to do things under the leadership. As a compliment, we may use reward power to provide rewards or recognition to gain compliance. It will be sounds promising by management depends on what the business is targeting.

Leadership is a critical success. To be a visionary strategic thinker, I believe passionately in what I have to do and need to act like a professional aiming for excellence. It is an excellent study of reflecting on myself; I will be revising my leadership tactics and climb the corporate ladder in my prosperous future career. 

Conclusion 

 “Leadership” is momentous to our dealing with family, friendship, work, study, etc. I am fortunate, upon my leadership analysis, I can know where I stand for and what is the gap to close. Regardless, perfection is never achieved, but it is something I will never stop striving forward. 



Reference

Adler, N.J. (2008) “The Arts & Leadership: Now That We Can Do Anything, What Will We Do?” Learning Landscapes 1 (2), 187–213

Leadership Power (2019) Leadership Power [online] available from <https://www.learnmanagement2.com/leadership%20power.htm> [8 May 2020]

Mannion, K. (2009) “Leadership for Success”. Leadership & Organization Development Journal 30 (7)

Netflix Net Worth (2019) available from <https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NFLX/netflix/net-worth> [10 May 2020]

Sinha, K. (2015) Situational Contingency Theory of Leadership (With Diagram) [online] available from <http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/leadership/situational-contingency-theory-of-leadership-with-diagram/64024> [9 May 2020]

К.В, З. (2017) “Effective Strategies of Change Management”. Doctoral Dissertation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog